Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Internationalism

As many of you that are on my FB page, you know I have a very global view of the world. It is hard for me not to, since my wife comes from Panama. I have found that talking with my friends around the world I have learned a great deal about the world, and where I live, just by processing the different things people have to say in other countries. Even more than that, it is just an adventure to see new places and meet new people. I am always refreshed by how friendly people are when I go to new places. It really restores my view of people and humanity.



Above is a photo from Old Panama. They have some old Spanish ruins that are much older than anything that we have in almost any part of this country. It is interesting to walk through so much history. When I go to Panama, I have not really become to used to it yet. I am used to it because it is quite familiar now, but I still learn so much every time I go, and I am still learning the language. My Spanish is getting better, but I seriously need some practice.

When I go to Panama, I could be in the rain forest one morning and back in California by the next morning. I have done that before and it amazed me to think I could change so quickly from one locale to another.

After I went to Italy years ago, I thought what an experience it was to travel to another country. I thought that it would be so good for every person to leave the continent at least once to give them a perspective of being away from home and seeing the world from a different point of view. By traveling you allow yourself the ability to step outside your comfort zone and see things from other people's eyes.

Old Panama is unbelievable in summer. I was out there one time during their summer months and it was a full sunny day without clouds and heat blasting away. While the temperature was not nearly as high as 115 as I felt growing up in California, it was a different kind off heat. It was humid, and the sun was so direct being close to the equator. My wife, who is from there, even wears sunscreen and is much more resistant to the sun than I am. I don't think anyone can understand the difference in intensity of the heat unless they have travel in the tropical zones.

As a whole, travel is invaluable and I highly recommend anyone who has a chance to get out and see the world to take that opportunity. It is a great experience for me each time I leave the country to travel, or even leave my state or town. Travel brings new knowledge and a great chances for new friends and opportunities.

Knowledge is so much more effective when there is experience to back it up, and travel is one of the best forms of experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment